Hotels in Arch Cape: A Brief History
Though a small community, Arch Cape has a rich history of lodging, hotels and inns. Because of its natural beauty and proximity to Cannon Beach, Arch Cape has been a tourist destination since the early 1900s. Here’s a brief history of the hotels that have served (and continue to serve) Arch Cape:
Arch Cape Hotel — As described in David and Alma English’s seminal book Arch Cape Chronicles, Bill Adams built the “magnificent” Arch Cape Hotel in 1905 “on the ocean side of the north entrance to the (Arch Cape) tunnel.” Featuring wide west-facing windows and a beautiful fireplace as the focal point, the 10-room hotel offered meals and rooms for $2/day or $12/week. In 1914, Adams sold the hotel to Englishman Marmaduke Maxwell, a prominent farmer from Shaniko, Oregon, who sold the property to Marie English in 1929.
Singing Sands Hotel — Sisters Elsie and Marie English bought the Arch Cape Hotel from Marmaduke Maxwell in 1929 and changed the name to the Singing Sands, which was open from June 15-August 15 annually. The hotel was torn down in 1955.
Austin House — According to David and Alma English, authors of the wonderful book Arch Cape Chronicles, the Austin House not only served as the first Cannon Beach Post Office, but also functioned as a hotel and general store. Built in the late 1800s by James P. Austin, the structure was located on the oceanfront in north Arch Cape.
Arch Cape Beach House Motel — Formerly known as the “Beach House,” this Arch Cape motel was owned by Jan Goffinet Tarr from 1981-1988, and managed in the winter season by Dorothy and Jack Meece. (For more information on the Beach House Motel, see “Inn at Arch Cape.”)
The Inn at Arch Cape — As outlined in detail in the book Arch Cape Chronicles (p. 42), in 1939, Mr. Ernest White built a structure on West Ocean Lane (then called “Ocean Road”) at the newly-constructed Highway 101 through Arch Cape, that was originally called “The Beach House.” According to authors David and Alma English, White’s building served as “a lodging place, a general store and the post office.” Around 1946, the building was expanded with the addition of two west-facing apartments (which are Rooms 1 and 5 at The Inn today). In 1953, Ms. Ethel LeGault took over the store and post office. In 1960, she built a new store/post office next door, and the “Beach House,” became the “Arch Cape Beach House Motel.” It was renamed “The Inn at Arch Cape” around 1990 when owned by Cheryl & Larry Packwood. Henry and Tracy Hooper purchased the property around 2005 before selling it to Chris and Heather Newman, the current owners, in 2017.